Ah, the grilled cheese – something every kitchen newbie or pro can whip together in no time at all, plus it’s a meal the whole family can agree on. Here’s a little bit about the nutrition in a grilled cheese:
5 Ways to Spice It Up
In its most basic form, the grilled cheese is pretty amazing, but sometimes it’s fun to try new ideas. I’m offering simple additions to up your grilled-cheese game!
- Spice It Up – Create flavor bombs with your favorite herbs and spices. Using your spice rack can add flavor without extra sodium: Mix dried oregano and garlic powder in your butter before you smear it on the outside of the bread, sprinkle chili flakes on the inside of your sandwich for some spice, or simply layer in some freshly torn herbs. I love the classic combo of basil, sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella.
- Veg Out – It may be no surprise that Americans need to eat more vegetables; pairing veggies with cheese can help your family accomplish this. Our Laporte-Obello Grilled Cheese combines mushrooms and bell peppers in an unexpected way.
- Fruity Flavors – Cheddar and sliced apple are a classic combo, but your creativity doesn’t have to stop there. Fruity additions are practically limitless: melons with prosciutto and fontina cheese, peaches with gruyere, pears and melty Brie, strawberries and sharp cheddar. These sophisticated flavor combos will have the grown-ups cheering for more. Check out this Avocado and Strawberry Grilled Cheese for inspiration.
- Dessert Heaven – Dessert. Grilled Cheese. You read that right. As a dietitian, I’m a firm believer that all food fits and sometimes dessert is a must. Satisfy your sweet tooth by mixing ricotta with honey and pairing it with your favorite jam or sliced fruit. It’ll make your family swoon.
- Turn Things Inside Out – I don’t know about you, but my favorite parts of a grilled cheese are the yummy morsels of cheese that fall out of my sandwich and crisp perfectly to the bread. Well, did you know that intentionally putting cheese on the outside of your grilled cheese is actually a thing? It’s also the game-changer you never know you needed, and it’s unbelievably simple. Build your grilled cheese as usual, then sprinkle some freshly grated cheese in the center of your skillet on medium-low, add your sandwich on top and voila – your bread will be crisp and delicious in seconds.