I’m a working mom, so my days are jam-packed! Kids, meetings and making dinner take up all my time. When I find time, I squeeze in a workout. And as a registered dietitian nutritionist, I know that post-workout snacks and meals are key for recovery; you need to refuel and your muscles need to recover.
So, ready for an effortless way to revamp your post-workout routine? Here are some of my favorite snack choices any time of day for a reload of protein and carbs in a nutritious package.
- Smoothie with Whey Protein Powder – I don’t always drink smoothies, but when I do it’s because I know I am going to work out the next day. Throw some plain Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, chocolate whey protein powder and real cow’s milk into a blender and whirl into an on-the-go snack.
- Chocolate Milk and Nuts – It’s like candy, that perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter. But this version hydrates, promotes recovery and reduces inflammation.
- Cheese and Whole-Grain Crackers – Pack one for you, and one for your kids for after school or practice. Its universal yumminess makes it a crowd-pleaser.
- Kefir and Fruit – Think of kefir as a premade smoothie. Add a piece of fruit and you’re boosting the fiber!
- Cottage Cheese and Fruit – My grandma served this with dinner most nights. It’s still a delicious snacking staple.
- Chia Seed Pudding – If you like tapioca pudding and are into fiber and protein, chia seed pudding is a yummy version to add into your repertoire.
- Cereal and Milk – Simple, delicious, nutritious.
Exercising without proper fueling is like trying to ride your bike without the bike; you won’t really get anywhere. Grab a healthy snack after your workout and reap the benefits! I know I need that energy to make it through my day.