The end of the school year is upon us, and that means that many of us are very busy with our kiddos’ spring sports and end-of-year events and gatherings. If getting family-friendly meals on the table is a struggle, let the slow cooker do the work for you with this marvelous roundup of some of the best dairy-centric slow cooker recipes.
- This Slow Cooker Three Cheese Ziti is described by blogger Lauren at Tastes Better from Scratch as, “The creamy, sauce-y, cheese ziti that you love, made in your slow cooker!” And even better, there is hardly any prep as the penne noodles go in uncooked, straight from the box. Who can’t get behind that? The whole family will love this recipe.
- Do you have a cheese lover in your family? If so, this Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is for you! While there is a little bit of stovetop prep-work involved, most of the cooking time is in the slow cooker. Make this on the weekend so it’s ready for lunch boxes or dinner on the go.
- Not feeling the pasta? This Slow Cooker Taco Lasagna by I Heart Naptime is perfect for busy weeknights. Only taking 4-5 hours to cook – this is one you can throw in on your lunch break or during the kiddos’ afternoon naps and have it ready by dinner.
- Looking for a side to serve with your main entrée? Or perhaps, a dish to bring to a potluck? Try Slow Cooker Cheddar Corn or Slow Cooker Creamed Corn with Ricotta and Rosemary. I could bet there won’t be any leftovers.
- Sometimes it’s not dinner we’re looking for, but breakfast (hint – Mother’s Day morning when mom doesn’t want to cook). Try this Overnight Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole loaded with hash browns, cheese, sausage and eggs. Preparing this recipe is as easy as layering a few ingredients in the slow cooker and setting it to “low” before going to bed.
- Lastly, if you haven’t tried making your own yogurt yet, I “dairy” you to give it a whirl. Easy to make and oh so fun, this Slow-Cooked Yogurt recipe can effortlessly be adapted to fit your family’s tastes and preferences. Need more convincing? Yogurt is a great source of protein and calcium, among other nutrients, and is good for your gut. Read more in our Power of Yogurt handout.
Looking for other family-friendly recipe ideas? We've got you covered.