Friday, August 1, 2014
Back to school means back to busy for a lot of moms. Sometimes you just don’t have time to cook, and that drive-thru starts to look really good.
Fortunately, plenty of fast food restaurants are adding healthier items to their menus, like fruit cups and tortilla wraps – and, of course, fresh low-fat milk.
Replace soda with Milk
- Replacing sodas and sugary juices with milk is a small change that will make a huge difference for your family’s health.
- It cuts out a lot of sugar and caffeine, and provides a kick of protein and eight other essential nutrients.
- When you choose milk, you gain 3 of the 4 nutrients of concern (calcium, potassium, vitamin D) that children and adults fall short on.
- Moms can feel good about choosing milk with their family’s meals.
To give you a hand, we rounded up a list of the top fast food restaurants offering milk, yogurt and cheese.
- McDonald’s. McDonald’s offers both white and chocolate milk. You can also get squeezable strawberry yogurt or a yogurt parfait.
- Burger King. Burger King offers fat-free milk and low-fat chocolate milk.
- Dairy Queen. Dairy Queen has milk – and of course there’s dairy in those blizzards for those times you feel like a treat.
- Starbucks. Starbucks offers the most choices: whole, 2% or non-fat milk. Choose a lattte for the most milk in your coffee. You can even get steamed milk flavored with any of their various syrups. Starbucks also offers yogurt parfaits and fruit-and-cheese bistro boxes.
- Wendy’s. Wendy’s offers both white and chocolate milk.
- Whataburger. Whataburger offers both white and chocolate milk.
- Jack in the Box. Jack in the Box offers white milk chugs. For the cheese lovers, they also have cheddar jalapeño bites if you’re feeling extra cheesy.
- Arby’s. Arby’s offers both white and chocolate milk, as well as mozzarella sticks and jalapeño bites.
- Sonic. Sonic offers both white and chocolate milk, as well as mozzarella sticks and jalapeño “Ched ‘R’ Pepper” bites.
- Chick-Fil-A. Chick-Fil-A offers both white and chocolate milk on the kid’s menu. Plus, look on the menu for yogurt parfaits.
- Subway. Subway offers low-fat white and chocolate milk.