More families are cooking at home during this pandemic, so why not do it together and support a great cause at the same time? That was exactly what the Dairy MAX team had in mind when we joined Bravo “Top Chef” Tiffany Derry for a live #QuarantineCooking webinar. Tiffany – celebrity chef and owner of Roots Chicken Shak in Plano, Texas – demonstrated how to prepare a delicious dairy-themed recipe for donors who contributed to GENYOUth’s COVID-19 Emergency School Nutrition Fund, helping GENYOUth provide much-needed resources for schools to feed kids during the pandemic. Regionally, over 254 schools have already benefited from the fund to date.
Tiffany welcomed everyone into her kitchen and virtually walked guests through each step of the featured recipe, Poached Chicken With Dill Cream Sauce. She answered questions about cooking techniques, included possible substitutions, shared stories of her journey in the culinary world, and even demonstrated her signature method of frying chicken in duck fat. One of the best parts of the webinar was how Tiffany shared tips to help turn cooking from feeling like a chore into a creative, relaxing and fun activity.
- Cut larger chicken breasts in half at an angle (on a cutting board) to get equal and appropriate portion sizes
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure proper cooking temperatures
- Start pan at medium heat to bring broth to a boil then lower heat and cover to create a slow simmer
- Making the sauce is quick, so have all the ingredients ready to go and right at hand
- No Creole mustard? You can use brown or Dijon mustard
- Substitute half-and-half or whole milk if cream is unavailable
Although Tiffany is a restaurant owner, she encourages people to cook at home, hoping they will fall in love with not just the food but also the process of creating it. And like our virtual participants, she wants you to enjoy the fruits of cooking at home, too! Check out our dairy-delicious, #QuarantineCooking recipe below:
Poached Chicken With a Dill Cream Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 4 (4-ounce) chicken breasts, flattened slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and white pepper
- Add garlic, wine and dill to a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Lay chicken breasts in pan and add water until almost covered and cook very slow (should see lazy bubbles) for about 8 minutes until contents reach 155 F. Pull out and set aside.
- Reduce heat and add heavy cream. Bring to a boil and continue to cook until sauce thickens.
- Reduce fire to very low and whisk in butter and mustard. If sauce is a little too thick, thin it out with a touch of water. Add cayenne pepper, dill and lemon juice.
- Adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
- Serve the breasts with sauce on top alongside rice pilaf and your favorite green vegetable.
Looking for more recipes to cook during quarantine? Get inspired with these #DairyAmazing dishes.