Yogurt can be found in a variety of dishes all over the world. Why? Yogurt is delicious, packed with nutrients and has many health benefits. It can also be your best friend when it comes to cooking in the kitchen. It’s even easy to make. Trying to eat healthier? Greek yogurt makes a nutrient-rich substitute for higher fat ingredients. Here are some creative tips and tricks to incorporate yogurt into your diet that are quick, easy and delicious:
- Mix It. Use plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise in tuna, chicken or potato salads. You can even hide it in plain sight. Try making a Greek yogurt dressing or creamy tomato sauce.
- Bake It. For moist baked goodies, swap 1 cup of oil for ¾ cups of Greek yogurt when baking to reduce fat and add calcium.
- Freeze It. Freezing yogurt cubes overnight makes morning smoothies easier. Try one of these easy smoothie recipes.
Personally, my favorite way to use yogurt when the weather gets hot is by making popsicles. As a kid, I enjoyed licking the melted yumminess off my fingers while sitting on the porch with family and friends. Check out my simple recipe below to experience this sweet summer treat.
Very Berry Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 16 ounces of frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 to 3 whole strawberries, sliced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
To start, blend the frozen mixed berries and ½ cup of Greek yogurt. I used a food processor, but a blender will do just fine. Blend until mostly smooth, then add the ½ cup of Greek yogurt, honey and squeeze of lemon – it helps cut the sweetness.
Now is the fun part! Fill the mold a third of the way and add sliced strawberries. I found that angling the spoon works best. Leave the popsicles overnight in the freezer and Viola! You have yummy popsicles with the added health benefits of yogurt.