A Casserole Lover’s Sunday Brunch
1 medium onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
1 (9.6-ounce) package precooked turkey sausage links, sliced
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
8 large eggs
¾ cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 (1-ounce) package taco seasoning
½ cup shredded Mexi-cheese blend
½ cup 2% milkfat cottage cheese
1 (20-ounce) bag of refrigerated hash brown potatoes
Sour cream, optional
Protein: 19 g
Carbohydrate: 23 g
Fiber: 5 g
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 222 mg
Calcium: 13% DV
Sodium: 829 mg
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and pepper, stirring frequently until cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the sausage, beans and green chilies. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. In a liquid measuring cup, mix milk and taco seasoning until taco seasoning is well dissolved, then pour it into the eggs. Stir in cheese and cottage cheese and mix well.
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker generously with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the hash browns, then add the cooked sausage mixture. Pour egg mixture over the top. Cover and cook 3½ hours on high or until eggs are set. Due to differences in slow cookers, check after 2½ hours.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa or cilantro, if desired.
- Using ½ the amount of hash browns reduces the cook time by 30-60 minutes.
- Use half the amount of the taco seasoning for less zip!
Substitute turkey bacon or your favorite breakfast meat for the sausage. Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.