Rise and Shine Veggie Breakfast Skillet
2 tablespoons butter
1½-2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
¼ cup chopped mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
5 large eggs
1 cup shredded Mexi-cheese blend
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrate: 18 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Fat: 20 g
Saturated fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 217 mg
Calcium: 30% DV
Sodium: 230 mg
- Heat a 10- to 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, add butter and oil. When heated, add white and sweet potatoes and sauté, stirring every few minutes, until the potatoes start to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook uncovered until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a spoon, make five wells in the potato mixture. Crack one egg into each well. Cover and cook on low 10-12 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks are cooked to your preference.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the potatoes around the eggs. Serve immediately.
- To speed up the time it takes to cook the potatoes, cover the skillet and stir the potatoes often. Use foil if you don’t have a lid. Potatoes will be golden crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- If you use russet potatoes, you can parboil (boil to partially cook) the diced potatoes for approximately 5 minutes to start the cooking process and decrease the total time the potatoes need to be in the skillet. Drain the parboiled potatoes before placing them in the skillet with the oil/butter.
Simple Swaps: This dish is totally customizable. Don’t like mushrooms? Leave them out! Want to make it spicy? Add fresh jalapeños! Satisfy meat lover with leftover meat or lean ham.