Salad in a Jar
- ¼ cup each buttermilk and plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar Jack cheese
- 2 cups torn spinach
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrate: 8 g
Fiber: 1 g
Total Fat: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Calcium: 53% DV
Sodium: 563 mg
For the dressing:
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, yogurt and mayonnaise until blended.
- Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to assemble salads. Dressing may be prepared up to 2 days ahead and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
For the salad:
- Divide dressing among 4 pint-size jars with lids such as Mason jars. Layer tomatoes, carrot, bacon, cheese and spinach. Cover and refrigerate.
- Shake to coat salad before eating.
Variation: Add ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese to dressing. Layer dressing, tomatoes, 2 chopped hard-cooked eggs, bacon, ¾ cup crumbled blue cheese and spinach.
Variation: Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to dressing. Layer dressing, tomatoes and 6 ounces fresh mozzarella balls or cubes, torn basil and spinach. Provolone cubes may be used as an alternative.