Swiss Muesli Overnight Oats
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup wheat germ or wheat bran
- ½ cup dried cherries or combination of your favorite dried fruit
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup muesli (homemade or store bought)
- 2 (6-ounce) cartons vanilla Greek yogurt, divided
- ½ apple with peel, shredded
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Fresh or frozen fruit such as mixed berries or sliced bananas
Protein: 24 g
Carbohydrate: 50 g
Fiber: 6 g
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Calcium: 24% DV
Sodium: 139 mg
For the muesli:
- Combine oats, wheat germ or bran, dried fruit, walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds. This will make about 3 cups of muesli. Store leftover muesli in a tightly sealed bag or container.
For the overnight oats:
- To make the overnight oats, combine 1 cup of the muesli mixture with 2 cartons of yogurt, shredded apple and orange juice in two small bowls or mason jars. Mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, top each with a dollop of yogurt and fresh or frozen fruit.
Try it with pecans, raisins, cranberries, dried apricots or dried blueberries; add 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut; substitute plain or your favorite flavored Greek yogurt.
Tips + Tricks:
- The dry muesli mixture can be stored for up to 2 months in an airtight container.
- Buy nuts and grains in bulk to reduce cost and food waste.
- For a delicious warm version, cook the muesli exactly like regular oatmeal: ½ cup oat mixture and ½ cup milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir and add your favorite toppings!
- To turn the entire batch of muesli into overnight oats, combine the dry ingredients with 2 (32-ounce) containers of plain or vanilla Greek yogurt and refrigerate overnight.