Did you know some dairy foods are good for digestion? Yogurt is known not only for its smooth texture and tangy flavor, but also for its digestive benefits – and parfaits are a scrumptious way to support this important function while also getting your recommended three servings of dairy every day.
By using these three simple steps to pair yogurt with other nutrient-dense foods, you can parfait your way to better digestion.
1. Prepare Your Base
Greek yogurt is the perfect base for layering: thick and creamy with protein and probiotics. Plus, yogurt provides 9 essential nutrients, including vitamin B12 (cobalamin), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), selenium and more.
2. Alternate Layers With Toppings
Slice, layer, mix and match these superfood ingredients to create the perfect parfait.
- Berries – Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries are naturally sweet when ripe and are full of fiber which is good for your gut.
- Apples – Juicy and fibrous, apples of all kinds can add a crisp texture and sweet flavor to your parfait while aiding in digestion.
- Bananas – Packed with potassium, fiber and a subtle sweetness, bananas pair perfectly with other parfait textures and flavors.
Nuts, Oats and Seeds
- Walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews – Not only are these nutrient-rich nuts a good source of antioxidants and healthy fats; studies show they’re good for your gut, too.
- Granola – Give your parfait a good crunch! Depending on the variety, most granola mixtures provide protein, fiber, minerals and other micronutrients.
- Flax seeds & chia Seeds – Tiny but mighty in nutrition, seeds are loaded with antioxidants and fiber that can have a beneficial effect on intestinal health.
- Depending on your mood and what’s in your pantry, dark chocolate chips, dried fruit, canned peaches or toasted coconut flakes can be great additions as well.
3. Enjoy Any Time!
It’s not just for breakfast: A parfait can be easily enjoyed for a late-night snack or any meal. Prepare these Blueberry Parfait Pancakes before a big day, dress up your parfait with a drizzle of chocolate sauce for dessert or pack this simple three-ingredient parfait for lunch.