Basil Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of Cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons of butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1½ cup of milk
- ½ cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 14½ ounces of canned petite diced tomatoes
- 14½ ounces of canned crushed tomatoes
- 11½ ounces of canned tomato juice
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper added to taste
Protein: 16 g
Carbohydrate: 35 g
Fiber: 5 f
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Calcium: 37% DV
Sodium: 920 mg
For croutons, top 2 bread slices with 2 slices cheese then remaining bread. Spread outsides of bread with butter. Cook in a skillet 3 minutes on each side until browned on both sides. Cut each sandwich into 16 cubes. Keep warm.
In a large glass measuring cup, gradually combine cornstarch and milk. Cook in microwave on high for 3 to 3½ minutes, stirring twice, until thickened.
Spray a saucepan with cooking spray. Cook onion and garlic over low heat until tender. Add tomatoes and juice to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and stir in milk mixture. Do not allow to boil. Add basil and Parmesan cheese; season with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons.
Note: For a creamier texture, use whole milk. Grilled cheese may also be cut into strips for dipping.