Mozzarella and Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- 8 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 (3/8-inch) slices eggplant
- 1 red pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 4 (1/8-inch) slices red onion
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon each olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Chopped fresh basil leaves
Protein: 24 g
Carbohydrate: 48 g
Fiber: 4 g
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Calcium: 46% DV
Sodium: 727 mg
Bring mozzarella slices almost to room temperature while preparing vegetables.
Brush eggplant, pepper, onion and zucchini with oil and vinegar reserving any extra mixture. On outdoor grill or grill pan over medium heat grill vegetables for 5 minutes and turn. Grill on other side, removing each as it becomes tender. Lightly grill bread on one side; top each plain side of bread with a slice of cheese.
Assemble sandwiches by layering vegetables and drizzle with any remaining oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with basil and top with bread with mozzarella side down.
Note: Sliced fresh mozzarella cheese is available.