- 1 cup oat or whole wheat flour (use gluten-free if desired)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if desired)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 (6-ounce) container plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 Honeycrisp apple (or apple of your choosing), chopped into small pieces
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrate: 25 g
Fiber: 3 g
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Calcium: 33% DV
Sodium: 207 mg
Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin wrappers or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine egg, yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla and milk.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir until just combined.
Fold in chopped apples.
Divide batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling each to ¾ full. Add a sprinkle of oats and/or brown sugar to the top of each muffin if desired.
Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until top is firm to the touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for approximately 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information calculated with 1% milk and low-fat Greek yogurt