Barley Beef Stuffed Peppers with Avocado Cream
⅓ cup uncooked or 1 cup cooked pearled barley
½ pound lean ground beef
6 ounces (2 cups) chopped button mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup chopped parsley
3 large multicolored bell peppers, cut in half and de-seeded
1 small avocado, pitted and peeled
¼ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon 2% reduced-fat milk
Juice of 1 small lime
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cilantro sprigs, optional
Protein: 19 g
Carbohydrate: 18 g
Fiber: 5 g
Total Fat: 15 g
Saturated fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 44 mg
Calcium: 86% DV
Sodium: 312 mg
- Cook the barley according to the package directions. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Brown the beef in a large skillet, about 10 minutes, breaking it into small pieces. Drain excess grease.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper (if desired) and cook another 3 minutes.
- Combine the meat mixture with barley in a large bowl. Mix in the cheeses and parsley.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and arrange the pepper halves cut-side up. Fill each pepper with the meat mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the bottom of the dish to soften the peppers during cooking.
- Bake uncovered until the peppers are tender, about 45 minutes.
- To make the avocado cream: In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until smooth; mix in sour cream, milk, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve stuffed peppers with a dollop of avocado cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.