Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 8 ounces shredded gruyere
- Garlic powder
- Room temperature butter
- Fresh cracked pepper
Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 28 ounce cans peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Parmesan rind or 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sprig of fresh basil (about 4 leaves)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Can of Tomato Soup
- Half and Half cream
- Italian herb spice mix
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
Protein: 36 g
Carbohydrate: 81 g
Fiber: 10 g
Total Fat: 74 g
Saturated fat: 40%
Cholesterol: 205 mg
Calcium: 150% DV
- Place the butter in a large saucepan on medium. Once almost melted add that olive oil. Add the onion and cook bout 3-4 minutes or until almost flaccid. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
- Hit it with some salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, cream, chicken stock, sugar, crushed red pepper, oregano and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the soup to a boil while breaking up the tomatoes a bit with a spoon. Reduce to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pluck out the basil branch and parmesan rind and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to a clean pot and place on low.
- Heat a large skillet to medium.
- Place two slices of sourdough on a cutting board.
- Butter each slice then sprinkle each buttered side lightly with garlic powder. Add a handful of gruyere to one side then close the sandwich. Butter the top of the sandwich and then sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper.
- Place the sandwich butter/pepper side down in skillet and butter and pepper the top side. Cook until golden brown (about 4-5 mins) flip and repeat. Remove sandwich from skillet and place on cutting board. Cut into 1/2 inch squares.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and top with a few of the grilled cheese croutons.
To spice it up like Monsoon, try adding some half and half, Italian herb spice mix and a bit of fresh Basil.
Scotty Scott uses heavy cream, chicken stock and a Parmesan rind to give it a twist.