You’ve probably heard it said, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Yet, over 30 million Americans skip it each day. One of the top excuses for skipping this morning meal is lack of time. If you fall into this category more often than you’d like to admit, here are some benefits of making time for breakfast.
- Research indicates that regular breakfast eaters tend to be more successful at losing or maintaining weight, possibly because breakfast jump-starts the metabolism after the overnight fast.
- Regular breakfast eaters often have healthier diets overall, with research pointing to a correlation between breakfast consumption and higher intakes of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Breakfast foods are often nutrient-rich (think whole grains, fruits and vegetables, eggs, milk and yogurt) – that is, of course, if you forgo the donut for something healthier.
- Studies indicate that eating breakfast may improve memory, concentration and mood; after all, most of us get grouchy – or downright angry (aka “hangry”) – when our stomachs are rumbling.
There’s so much potential when it comes to breakfast! Whether you’re looking to improve performance, jump-start your metabolism or boost your mood, here are some quick and easy meal ideas:
- Try these savory Cheddar 'N' Ham Muffins – great on the go.
- Overnight oatmeal can be prepped ahead of time for a quick morning meal, and the flavor possibilities are endless.
- Pair your morning latte with these Breakfast Cheese and Fruit Kabobs.
- If smoothies are your thing, make your favorite fruit and vegetable smoothie and enjoy it with whole-grain egg or avocado toast.
- Need something easy before you run out the door? Try apple and cheese slices between whole-grain toast or a hard-boiled egg, string cheese and a cup of pink grapefruit.
- If having to get “creative” with breakfast makes you want to skip it altogether, a good ol’ bowl of whole-grain cereal topped with banana slices ought to do the trick.
- If more time allows, try these Berry Yogurt Parfait Pancakes and make a double batch for freezing and enjoying later.
Need more breakfast inspiration? Try these #DairyAmazing recipes.