An eight-time “Best Diet Overall” in U.S. News & World Report, DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is a flexible, balanced eating plan that’s great for everyone – especially if you’re concerned about heart health.
Following the DASH eating plan doesn’t have to be difficult. Start with small changes and follow these guiding principles:*
- Aim for 2-3 servings of dairy foods daily – milk, cheese or yogurt
- Choose a variety of fruits – 4-5 servings daily
- Vary your vegetables – 4-5 servings daily
- Make half of your grains whole – 6-8 ounces of grains daily
- Choose lean meat, fish or poultry – 6 ounces or less daily
- Aim for 4-5 servings of nuts, seeds and legumes weekly
- Use oils sparingly
*Recommendations based on a 2,000-calorie diet
I’ve rounded up some of our favorite nutritious (and delicious) recipes that follow the DASH principles – and I’ve got a feeling the whole family will enjoy them!
- Overnight Oatmeal Trio – Start the day off right with this grab-and-go breakfast. Packed with whole grains, milk and dried fruit, it’s as nutritious as it is delicious.
- Go Green Smoothie – Do you find it tough to get the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables daily? It’s easy to enjoy a variety of fruits and vegetables in this one simple green smoothie!
- On-The-Go Meal Box – This MyPlate meal in a box is perfect for the office lunch or the picnic at the park. Follow this ingredient list or get creative and make your own by choosing something from every food group.
- Mason Jar Chef Salad With Creamy Avocado Dressing – This salad is vegetable-heavy and protein-rich, the perfect mid-day meal. Add some garbanzo beans or a sprinkle of sunflower seeds for one of the 4-5 weekly servings of nuts/seeds/legumes.
- Whipped Cottage Cheese Avocado Dip – This easy snack takes only a few minutes to whip up. The cottage cheese adds protein to the healthy fat of the avocado – and combined, they make the perfect accompaniment to your favorite vegetables.
- Tropical Yogurt Parfait – This healthy snack might just make you wish you were at the beach. Get inspired with your choice of tropical fruits or create a fruit and yogurt parfait of your own.
- Barley Beef Stuffed Peppers With Avocado Cream – The colorful bell peppers make this dish appealing to the taste buds and to the eyes. Featuring whole grains, lean ground beef and vegetables, it’s the perfect addition to your DASH meal repertoire.
- Ratatouille With Creamy Polenta – Every bite tasty and nutritious, this vegetable-rich meal is great for a slow weekend when the long cook time is no big deal!
- Raspberry Orange Frozen Yogurt Bark – Dessert? Of course. Satisfy your sweet tooth while meeting food group recommendations. This dairy-based, fruit-enhanced dessert is fun for kids and adults alike.
- Balsamic Strawberries With Ricotta Cream – Fruit is a great choice for dessert because it naturally provides the “sweet” that we’re craving. This recipe has been a crowd favorite for many years!
Discover more dairy delicious recipes.